Thursday, August 26, 2010

Work in progress



I made this little piece (6' x 6' x .5") using wax encaustic, pigment and drawing on silk habotai. I really kind of liked it. It has some depth and interesting color combinations. I call it "Transformation."


THEN, as I looked at it, I thought perhaps I should add some texture and bronze oil stick on top for more depth! and some shimmer! I had just read this article: http://lynettehaggard.blogspot.com/2010/08/jeffrey-hirst-minneapolis-artist.html

The artist Jeffrey Hirst talks about pushing his work to the edge and maybe past it in order to improve. I would assume he then fixes it!
Here's "Transformation" part 2. The underlying colors haven't changed - it's just difficult to photograph encaustic and adding the top layer changes the look.



Hmm - I'm not sure I like pushing the work. Now I have to decide if I like this at all, and if I don't, can I scrape off the last layer without disturbing everything underneath? Decisions, decisions. Ugh. Well, next I need to gesso (using an absorbent gesso) the four 24" x 24" cradled boards I'll be using for the rust wall in the October exhibit. Sixteen times the excitement and opportunity to mess it up.

I know - courage!

1 comment:

  1. No time to hesitate, just keep pushing forward. I think both pieces looks cool but you sure can see the pattern better in the first one... so it depends what you want from it what you should do with it. Hope the 16 messes will be fun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete