Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Two great books

Oh, am I a big Martha Beck fan. When I read any of her self-improvement books, I feel such hope and joy, followed immediately by searing anger. White hot, searing anger. I'm not sure at what or whom, but probably at myself for not living the best life I can live. I've spent a lot of time being unhappy with parts of my life; really suffering in my twenties.

She tells us to play and rest, and forget everything else (well, not really. Actually, yes really.) It's a great prescription. I know it's the right way. I've been fighting against the answer my whole life, trying to conform and do what the rest of the people I know do. Even when I've gone off and worked for myself, I'm still trying to fit in.

The title of her latest book is
Finding Your Way in a Wild New World: Reclaim Your True Nature to Create the Life You Want
by Martha Beck. Available at your local bookstore and through Amazon, Barnes & Noble, on your Kindle and Nook.


Martha, among other things, is saving animals in Africa. Lately, I've been thinking about the decimation of the Elephants in southeast Asia. She gives me hope (although I can't believe we still have to worry about them.)

I've read this book completely through only once so far. I'll keep coming back to it this year and see how I progress with finding my way in a wild new world and reclaim my true nature to create the life I want. ;-)

The second book is an example of a person who followed his interests to create great things. Gabi Campanario is a journalist who was born in Spain and now lives in Seattle with his family. He liked to sketch and connect with other sketchers around the world, so he started the UrbanSketchers.org website.
That led to Urban Sketcher conferences (Portland, Lisbon - and next in the Dominican Republic), scholarships for the conferences and now a full-fledged, beautiful book.

It brings together works from many of the original artists on the site, and adds a lot of information on the drawings, work methods, materials and sketching on location. There is background on each artist, tips, and even a notation of the time it took to draw and paint the sketch. Lots to look at and enjoy.

The Art of Urban Sketching: Drawing On Location Around The World
by Gabriel Campanario, also available at all of the usual places.

No comments:

Post a Comment